Whether you’re homebound, traveling to a city, or kicking it back at the beach, Spring Break is an opportune time for carefree lackadaisical dressing. Come springtime I’m looking forward to dressing from both ends of the style spectrum—that is, New England-Prepster-Meets-Ultra-Mod. Absolute opposites, yet when thrown together, these "waspy" and 60's pieces somehow look so right.
1. Lisa Perry "Gingham Yellow Fleurty Dress," $795 via Lisa Perry
2. Oversized White Cat Eye Sunglasses, $21.52, via ASOS
3. Opening Ceremony x NYABF "Marc Hundley Tote," $30 via Opening Ceremony
4. Sailboat-embroidered Straw Hat, $35 via Estella NYC
5. Navy Polka-dot Underwire Bikini Top, $52 via JCrew
6. POP Magazine Spring/Summer 2011 Issue, $10
7. NYX Cosmetics Fuschia Glitter Nail Polish, $5.75 via Amazon.com
8. Delfina Delettrez Evil Eye Necklace, $720 via Opening Ceremony
9. Matt Bernson Raffia Wedge, $168 via Urban Outfitters
My Spring Inspiration
Music: The Like, the songs of Brigitte Bardot, and Au Revoir Simone.
Runway: Retro Gingham and Hawaiian prints at Peter Som S/S ’11, geometrics and pop flowers patterns at Marimekko S/S ’11, Twiggy-style shift dresses at Lisa Perry S/S ’11, futuristic resort wear featuring pop fruit graphics at Prada SS’11, and raffia, embroidered bags at Chanel Cruise ’11.
Culture: “On to Pop” exhibit at MoMA, The Dreamers (2003), A Freewheelin' Time, by Suze Rotolo, and these watercolors.
Follow me on Twitter @emmaedition