Thursday, March 24, 2011

On To Pop


Vintage Moschino Cheap & Chic striped top, vintage suede belt, American Apparel purple denim skirt, vintage Coach bag, Repetto patent leather oxfords

Today, my friend Emily and I headed to MoMA see Andy Warhol: Motion Pictures; screen tests and short films featuring the likes of Edie Sedgwick, Lou Reed, Allen Ginsberg, and my personal favorite, singer, Nico. But when we got MoMA we found out that the exhibit had closed on Monday……
Check out Emily's amazing silk pajama-y pants from Paris!
But there are always things to do at MoMA! So to get our Warhol fix we headed down to On To Pop, an exhibition of objects and images we encounter in our daily lives that have been represented throughout the Pop Art movement of the 1960’s. But we were tremendously disappointed by the exhibit. The gallery was filled with one of Andy Warhol’s Marilyn Monroe pieces, Jasper John’s American Flag painting, Warhol’s iconic Elvis and Campbell’s soup can paintings, and a few others. Now I suppose this was the entire point of the exhibit, to show the pieces we most commonly align with Pop, but I was hoping to see pieces I hadn’t seen before. Not to say that I don’t think Andy Warhol was and is a genius (because I do), but I just don’t see why they had to put the most obvious pieces on display. I mean, really? There is more to Andy than Marilyn and the soup can.

Painted records on display in Looking at Music 3.0 exhibit at MoMA 
We did stumble upon a few truly noteworthy exhibitions, though. There was the one devoted to Pablo Picasso: Guitars 1912-1914 as Picasso moves from sketch to painting--- deceptively simple, but he used such subtly beautiful combinations of newspapers, cardboard, and geometrics to build the shapes he was depicting and with each picture you follow, its like getting a glimpse at his inner artist psyche. Another great curation was Looking at Music 3.0 which explores music at the epicenter of culture in New York in the 1980s-1990s: from Riot Grrrl to hip-hop. What I loved so much about this one was the way it was set-up; TV-screens blared various music videos from the dynamic decades and at each screen were a set of headphones for listening purposes. While on the tables were lyric sheets and music zines to pine through and painted records to check out.
Follow me on Twitter @emmaedition

3 comments:

  1. The colors in your outfit is so nice! I always go to the MoMA when I'm NYC, always a fun stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how your outfit matches the cows!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...