Out of the oven and ready to eat!
My last post was all about my—dare I say—magical experience in New Jersey, which included eating scrumptious homemade strawberry rhubarb pie. Let’s get this straight: when I say I want to be more like Martha Stewart, it’s not that I want to be some domestic mom AT ALL. Martha is a bitchin’, self-made business woman who knows how to make just about any food look good, she makes stellar crafts, and is also an OCD freak which I can totally appreciate. Oh, and for those of you who don't follow her Twitter… you're making a big mistake! Martha loves to tweet about the welfare of her garden vegetables and her beloved Justin Bieber. And since Martha was born in New Jersey, and I was staying there for the weekend, it seemed the gods were calling to me to have my crafty moment. So for our ode to M.S. we decided to use this recipe when making our strawberry rhubarb pie. Take note: if you’re using this recipe I suggest using at least a half a cup more rhubarb/fruit than suggested and a quarter cup less sugar than suggested below.
- 2 1/2 cups chopped red rhubarb, fresh
- 2 1/2 cups de-stemmed, washed and cut strawberries (in larger pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (1 1/4 cups for high altitude)
- 2 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed small
- 1 egg white beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Large granule sugar
Follow me on Twitter @emmaedition