Tuesday, October 11, 2011

X Chromosomes

Paper Magazine, September 2011. "Girlfriends" photographed by Diggy Lloyd.
Last month I purchased the September Issue of Paper Magazine. I’ve always love Paper because it’s one of the few fashion magazines that has interesting fashion editorials and writing of SUBSTANCE. Especially as my senior year draws close and I start to solidify actual college plans to propel my aspirations in the world of fashion journalism, I often think about this: as much as fashion magazines have the job to present unique commentary on style, first and foremost, a magazine is a business, and more often than not individuality gets thrown out the window if it’s not lucrative. I get so frustrated when I see fashion editorials where models stand, hair slicked back in front of a gray background or editorials of a woman looking wistfully out a window (although, this could be cool if it had a Rear Window-spin to it). I want editorials of models on carousels, at a discotheque, or at a 50’s diner sharing a milkshake, real pictures with some fun thrown in. Yet fun is often such a foreign concept to fashion magazines, which is in part why I want to be a fashion journalist so badly… I want to bring the fun back! While I do like many of Vogue’s editorials, their covers are lately the same to me. I always compare them like this: the controversial Lady Gaga one where she has that amazing bubblegum hair vs. the one with Natalie Portman where she is a nude color dress. Which is more interesting? As much as I don’t like Lady Gaga her cover was AMAZING! And Natalie’s was a super snooze yet everyone seemed to love it and the Lady Gaga one posed a lot of issues for the Vogue staff. 
The theme of the September 2011 issue of Paper was dubbed Girl Power, which I thought was really original. I really admired what Kim Hastreiter, the Co-Editor-in-Chief of Paper, wrote in her editor’s letter. She talks about how the issue was a long time coming, but the choice for the theme was solidified after reading in The Economist, that on this year’s Forbes 500 list, only 15 of the CEOs are female, a very striking imbalance indeed. I, too, have always found it ironic that some of the most well-known and wealthiest fashion designers dictating the trends for women are men: Karl Lagerfeld, the late Yves Saint Laurent, Valentino, Marc Jacobs, the late Cristobal Balenciaga, and so many more. So in taking a stance, Kim made sure everything in the Girl Power issue was styled, photographed, modeled by, and designed by women. In my mind, Paper is one of the few magazines out there right now that is still so exuberant and original.






Just a little heads up, my scanner is broken so I tried to take pictures of the photos...I’ll try to find the real versions of the editorial online. The main fashion spread for the issue was entitled “Girlfriends,” photographed by Diggy Lloyd and styled by Martha Violante. 


 



Follow me on Twitter @emmaedition

2 comments:

  1. you are absolutely perfect in every way

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need this magazine in my life. and yes agreed, re: plaid pants.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...