Friday, October 26, 2012

Call Me, Beep Me, If You Want To Reach Me


Yes, that is a naked mole rat in my jet pack

When I was in 3rd grade I thought I was Kim Possible. If you don’t know who Kim Possible was, well then you missed out on some prime Disney Channel years. Kim Possible was a cartoon, crime-stopping, babysitting, high schooler, who had the coolest gadgets such as lipstick that shot laser beams. Her best friend, Ron Stoppable was a little clumsy, but he was vital to the team because he had a pet naked mole rat who often aided in their escapades.  In 3rd grade I really admired Kim Possible’s unabashed fierceness, so much so that I dressed up as her for Halloween that year. My mom and I searched countless stores for cargo pants that were as close replicas to ones that Kim wore in the show. We then went to a craft store where we managed to find camouflage felt and Velcro tabs, from which my mom sewed a felt satchel just like the one Kim always wore around her waist to hold her beeper that alerted her to a pending mission. I never ate at McDonald’s, but back then I went into their chains to buy their Kids Meal toys. It just so happened that around the time of Halloween they were selling Kim Possible toys and we bought plastic gadgets to bolster my satchel. I even wore a black turtleneck, which my mom hemmed to make into a crop top to match the one Kim wore (perhaps a tad raunchy for the 3rd grade crowd, but so be it…). Whether or not you were a fan of Kim Possible, she was totally ahead of fashion trends. Back in 2003, Kim Possible was already wearing turtlenecks but experimenting by wearing them cropped and with baggy cargo pants, and camouflage gadget belts. Kim had a style all her own; she was a little bit Tom Boy, too, and didn't dress like the cheerleaders of the school. She wasn't wearing them to be "chic," either. She was wearing them because it was the outfit that made her feel the most confident and was the easiest to move around in when she was stopping crime. This year, every runway from Alexander Wang to Celine to Jil Sander showed some version of the turtleneck for the 2012 fall season, that brought to mind some Kim Possible vibes. Call me, beep me, if you want to reach me, it’s time for Halloween!

Follow me on Twitter @emmaedition

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...